Friday 28 June 2013

London 2013



The Geffrye Museum 

Our first day in London started with The Geffrye Museum in Hoxton. It is a collection of interiors moving through the 1600s to the 1990s with rooms matching the domestic styles of the time. My favourite room was definitely the drawing room of 1830, as pictured above. I loved the swooping curtains that piled onto the floor in deep blue and the touches of gold throughout the room. 






Soho

I decided to visit Soho to take images for my dissertation research and inspiration for my final university collection. We visited a beautiful shop that sold latex clothing and other bondage items. The window display and interior was so glamorous and feminine, with floral wallpapers and images of pin ups on the walls. I fell in love with the 1950s inspired bras, knickers and garter belts that were made in pink and black latex. There are also neon signs everywhere, which I find visually inspiring and shall certainly be taking colour palettes and print ideas from them. 








V & A 

I have been to the V & A a few times before but I never get bored of it. I can always guarantee to find inspiration there, especially in the fashion section. Next time I go there it is my aim to explore more parts of the museum I haven't yet had chance to. 



David Bowie Is.

My favourite part of this trip was the David Bowie exhibition at the V & A. It was so inspiring. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures but here is a virtual tour uploaded by ArtLyst to give you an idea. The exhibition contained pretty much everything you could think of, from costumes, hand written lyrics and even his cocaine spoon. One of the final rooms contained a wall made up of boxes that contained his costumes throughout the years, with three large projections of live footage. I was nearly brought to tears when Rock n Roll Suicide was played on such a massive scale. All together I spent three hours in there and I want to go back again. 

 Photo taken by Sandy Campbell 
Photo taken by Sandy Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment